Find here all of our live #BREXIT
• Until the end of the suspense. London and Brussels have finalized the post-Brexit trade deal they had been negotiating for ten months. “We have taken back control of our destiny”, welcomes Boris Johnson. Here is what we know about the content of the text.
• With this text of 2000 pages, “both parties are winners”, analysis with franceinfo Elvire Fabry, researcher at the Jacques Delors Institute. According to her, “this agreement provides a framework for future cooperation, which is very important”.
• Public Health France announces that it has recorded 21,634 new cases of Covid-19 contamination in 24 hours. The health agency specifies that “lhe number of confirmed cases communicated today includes the catch-up of data from the day before which could not be integrated “.
• PSG have announced that they are separating from their coach Thomas Tuchel. “With the record and what he did at PSG, surely deserved a better fate than to learn that on Christmas Eve”, is surprised to franceinfo Jean-Michel Moutier, former sports director of Paris Saint-Germain. Luis Fernandez, former PSG coach, is also surprised: “Really, I didn’t expect this dismissal.
• the extension of long-term partial activity for employees of companies dependent on British waters,
• restructuring aid under the company’s job protection plan,
• the possibility of “validate the acquired experience or retraining in the maritime sector”.
Dominic Grieve does not claim victory. “We will find out next year that even with this agreement there will be obstacles for free trade.”, assures the former conservative deputy to franceinfo. According to him, contrary to what Boris Johnson claims, the British have not “regained control of their destiny”.
• The text does not concern financial services, which make London the only place to compete with New York.
• The talks were not an opportunity for London and Brussels to agree on a common foreign, defense and development policy.
• The Spanish Prime Minister underlined that the negotiations were continuing to preserve the free movement of goods and people between Spain and Gibraltar, a British enclave on the Iberian Peninsula..
(PAUL GROVER / AFP)
• In extremis. London and Brussels have finalized the post-Brexit trade deal they had been negotiating for ten months. “We have taken back control of our destiny”, welcomes Boris Johnson. Here is what we know about the content of the text.
• Several stages stand in the face of this agreement. The British opposition announces that it will vote in favor of the text. It will then be approved by the heads of state within the Council of Europe, and should then enter into provisional application from 1 January. Follow the situation in our live.
• Public Health France indicates that it has recorded 21,634 new cases of Covid-19 contamination in 24 hours. The health agency also reports 292 new deaths in hospitals over the same period of time.
• Thomas Tuchel was fired by PSG, owned by Qataris, franceinfo learned from sources close to the Paris club. The 47-year-old German technician arrived at PSG in 2018. He was sacked 6 months from the end of his contract, which ran until June 2021.
Elvire Fabry, researcher in charge of trade policy and Brexit at the Jacques Delors Institute, deciphers for franceinfo the agreement concluded between the United Kingdom and the European Union.
(EUROPEAN COMMISSION / AFP)
Michel Barnier’s speech was posted a little earlier in this direct and it is available here.